Payne Elementary School
Located on C Street in southeast Washington, Payne Elementary School is DC Public Schools’ flagship location for deaf, hearing impaired, and special education programs. Built in 1896, the school has served students from K–5 in Ward 6 for over a century. The original 83,800 sq. ft. building lost nearly a fifth of its structure after a fire. DCPS contracted our firm to repurpose spaces within the existing 68,000 sq. ft. school.